Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Wednesday 21 June 2023

477- The Chaplet - Poem

The Chaplet is my overall 16th poem since last year (I say that, because I wrote a couple others many years ago and if I find them in my external hard drives, I might share them).
I operated a bit differently than these 15 prior poems : instead of publishing in English, then translating to French and coming back to alter my original entry with new words to match my translation's rhymes, I composed, translated, and adapted on the spot, altering one another until I had the rhymes and all the meanings that I intended. 

Due to this particular intertwined and concomitant process, there are many permutations of words, phrases, rhymes, and rejected several in each category. The initial composition, however, was in English, in my usual stream of consciousness, as I wanted to reach a specific topic. It was in the following stage that I worked towards these two final versions. 

The overall poem was born as a sequel to my previous religious-trauma induced poems, with another inspiration : to compose a piece in similar tones to Virginia Woolf's "the waves", a novel in which she used the ebb and flow of waves at the beach, the sun movements from its rise to its setting, to mirror the growth of the characters. This is why you'll see small hints to the passage of time in my present poem : "furtively dawn has come" should indicate to my readers that I'd been up way before it ; there is only one specified age later on, and the whole comprises many years - here unspecified. 

The repetitions are voluntary : I want to hint to the worse part of religious indoctrination, in chanting mantras/songs/names in multiple copies, day in, day out. I also added a lot of sarcasm. 

First, I'll share the censored version, which omits entirely the 4th stanzas, as it is graphic, and a word change in the original 12th (but 11th in this truncated version).

If you want to go straight to the final, uncensored version, use CTRL+F to "The Chaplet V6 (uncensored)". You can also search for the long line separation between V5 & V6. 

For now, this is The Chaplet V5 (censored)

Tooot toooot toooot signaled the diurnal wake-up call

Rise outta-slumber, time for a cold water shock,

Purify your body from last night's sin


Brrrrr brrrrrr in murderous pain shivered the frail skin,

Let's get dressed, in brigade to the Temple flock

god's furnace is a calm steady fire nourishing the taciturn soul


I say your name, say your name, say your name,

Over and over on these beads , I must say your name

Chant chant chant, these are the rules, this is your canon acclaim !


I say your name, say your name, times a hundred and eight,

Like an automaton I say your name, your name, a hundred and eight, you primate!

Chant chant chant some more, dazed, to praising the blue deities I rotate


So chant chant to the blue deities, your alter-eeeegos

No no no, these are no Smurfs, though blue is their aura, hello ?! everybody knows !

Chant chant chant to the marine gods, chant chant ! Devotion in a hose !

Blue they appear, blueberries they're not ! I reiterate, they are the blue gods !


Chant chant chant, repeating your name, your name, hum, drum, humdrum, so numb !

Light is pouring in, god has awoken the sun, furtively dawn has come !

Sixteen rounds circling the chaplet, circling the chaplet, on the bead keepin' my thumb !


Chanting, chanting your names, sixteen rounds, sixteen rounds apiece,

Six-teen rounds a-piece, six-teen rounds a-piece,


Chanting subsides, but no one heard it, for I praised these lords in silence and solitude,

Routine pages turned over many times, repeating this rhythmic habit and servitude,

Years consumed in quiet droning, continuously circling the chaplet


On a new leaf, spiritual maturity was reached, as pimples flourished on my face

Oh delightful age of thirteen, stuttering verses on a podium, the void I wish to embrace 

I must carry on saying your name, your name, name, name, ame


Sixteen rounds, sixteen rounds apiece, sixteen rounds, intermission-less, chant chant, chant !

Wisdom endowed, allowed to adorn the White Robe of Prayer, such a boost

Chant chant chant, say your name, say your blue name, blue, blue, blue pseudonym

Say all your names, again and again and agaiiiiin, the privilege of this addiction


Years of bead-kneading oozed no spiritual elixir ; only burnt fingers in friction

Chant chant, chaffed my digitus on your names, gathered as hymns

Chant, chafe, chant, chafe, such godly slime, in layers my blood to the ground introduced

Chafe, chant, chant, chafe, this robot's energy's depleted, proclaiming : my devotion I recant


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chaplet V6 (uncensored)


Tooot toooot toooot signaled the diurnal wake-up call

Rise outta-slumber, time for a cold water shock,

Purify your body from last night's sin


Brrrrr brrrrrr in murderous pain shivered the frail skin,

Let's get dressed, in brigade to the Temple flock

god's furnace is a calm steady fire nourishing the taciturn soul


I say your name, say your name, say your name,

Over and over on these beads , I must say your name

Chant chant chant, these are the rules, this is your canon acclaim !


I surely must sing your name, you Saint !

You, Holy sheep herder who tried to claw his own mother to maim !

A hundred and eight beads, a hundred and eight beads, and on you place no blame


I say your name, say your name, times a hundred and eight,

Like an automaton I say your name, your name, a hundred and eight, you primate!

Chant chant chant some more, dazed, to praising the blue deities I rotate


So chant chant to the blue deities, your alter-eeeegos

No no no, these are no Smurfs, though blue is their aura, hello ?! everybody knows !

Chant chant chant to the marine gods, chant chant ! Devotion in a hose !

Blue they appear, blueberries they're not ! I reiterate, they are the blue gods !


Chant chant chant, repeating your name, your name, hum, drum, humdrum, so numb !

Light is pouring in, god has awoken the sun, furtively dawn has come !

Sixteen rounds circling the chaplet, circling the chaplet, on the bead keepin' my thumb !


Chanting, chanting your names, sixteen rounds, sixteen rounds apiece,

Six-teen rounds a-piece, six-teen rounds a-piece,


Chanting subsides, but no one heard it, for I praised these lords in silence and solitude,

Routine pages turned over many times, repeating this rhythmic habit and servitude,

Years consumed in quiet droning, continuously circling the chaplet


On a new leaf, spiritual maturity was reached, as pimples flourished on my face

Oh delightful age of thirteen, stuttering verses on a podium, the void I wish to embrace 

I must carry on saying your name, your name, name, name, ame


Sixteen rounds, sixteen rounds apiece, sixteen rounds, intermission-less, chant chant, chant !

Wisdom endowed, allowed to adorn the White Robe of Prayer, such a boost

Chant chant chant, say your name, say your blue name, blue, blue, blue pseudonym

Say all your names, again and again and agaiiiiin, the privilege of this addiction


Years of bead masturbating oozed no spiritual elixir ; only burnt fingers in friction

Chant chant, chaffed my digitus on your names, gathered as hymns

Chant, chafe, chant, chafe, such godly slime, in layers my blood to the ground introduced

Chafe, chant, chant, chafe, this robot's energy's depleted, proclaiming : my devotion I recant



-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

For ease of comparison, here are the changes in the censored version:

the 4th verse is removed for its gore aspect, it read

I surely must sing your name, you Saint !

You, Holy sheep herder who tried to claw his own mother to maim !

A hundred and eight beads, a hundred and eight beads, and on you place no blame




**

and in 12 original verse but 11th of the short version

Years of bead masturbating oozed no spiritual elixir ; only burnt fingers in friction


becomes

Years of bead-kneading oozed no spiritual elixir ; only burnt fingers in friction


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments