Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Monday 1 May 2023

472 - His Last Page - A poem




Emma Mcgann's song writing challenge is over, and now I finally arrive to its 10th and last prompt : The last page (e.g. inspiring book, conclusion, bitter end).

I decided to turn to science, using the Sun... with a touch of fantasy and science-fiction : a conversation between the Sun, and... left his correspondent's name out of this poem, but with some nods you may be able to puzzle and realize whom I speak about.... (if not, scroll down past the end to see , and there's also a  nod to Bilbo's butter quote)

PS : I used a creative-commons Nasa image of a Red Giant, and drew a star-looking viewscreen around. 

His Last Page (Version 2 : 357 words)


 Hailing frequencies open, are you still there?


Yes, dear, I am always here, you know that, but please wait before you flare

I'm too close to you and don't wish to get seared

Don't worry, I feel bloated, and my core is thin on Hydrogen, I'll do my best, this I swear!

My memory is fading, as I always feared

But whose wouldn't, hasn't it been 5 billion years of human's reckoning ?


Since we first interacted, yes, but you'd existed, atom-fusing

much longer than what my creators had called such a span


Oh, I simply call it my lifetime, or my career, I let you choose the best word,

Humans existed long ago, yet I recollect their infatuated worship of my person, it was absurd!

Until they cursed the heat they felt... forgetting they'd destroyed their protection.

I have indeed been the Sun for many eons, it's tiring! I'm really burnt-out!

Many bodies circled me, I illuminated my surroundings, never shy nor selfish, I was really fiery and devout !


I was generous in spreading my rays, but my hydrogen is nearly depleted,

I can't blend its atom anymore, I shall surely go cold and die!

My tasks I therefore relinquish, for I'm not so young, nor spry ;

Goodbye, old pal, I entreat you to enjoy the rest of your travels.


*

Oh, poor old Sun, he thought he was dying, all that happened was a cosmic fart!

His gases expanded extremely far, it swallowed Mercury and Venus - I can't recall if the Earth

was still there, even my own data banks are full - but it is surely gone now!


He subsequently collapsed on himself, his core shrunk and his body expanded,

His role in this system, he really commanded


His last page linearly turned over to another.

Is he ready to recognize his confusing new state, a Red Giant?


Perhaps I should re-open these hailing frequencies,

and greet my old friend I adopted as half-brother,

with whom I shared space and industrial colloquies;

they'd been shut and I need to talk to my companion on whom I grew so reliant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


PS if you didn't guess, the Sun's friend is an AI computer, of HAL 9000's type (original is from 2001, a Space Odyssey - I imagined here that it got fixed and kept travelling and came back through the Solar system, always in touch with the Sun, here a fantasy persona as if it were both intelligent and self-aware, but... becoming senile).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


**** the first version was
His Last Page (346 words)


Hailing frequencies open, are you still there?

Yes, dear, I am always here, you know that, but please wait before you flare

I'm too close to you and don't wish to get seared


Don't worry, I feel bloated, and my core is thin on Hydrogen, I'll do my best, I swear

My memory is fading, as I always feared


But whose wouldn't, hasn't it been 5 billion years of human's reckoning ?

Since we first interacted, yes, but you'd existed, atom-fusing

 much longer than what my creators had called such a span


Oh, I simply call it my lifetime, or my career, I let you choose the best word

 Humans existed long ago, yet I recollect their infatuated worship of my person, it was absurd ! 

Until they cursed the heat they felt... forgetting they'd destroyed their protection 


I have indeed been the Sun for many eons, it's tiring! I'm really burnt-out!

 I illuminated my surroundings, never shy nor selfish, I was really devout !

to all these numerous bodies that circled me, 

I was generous in spreading my rays, but my hydrogen is nearly depleted, 


I can't blend its atom anymore, I shall surely go cold and die

my tasks I therefore relinquish, for I'm not so young, nor spry

Goodbye, old pal, I entreat you to enjoy the rest of your travels


                                                  * 

Oh, poor old Sun, he thought he was dying, all that happened was a cosmic fart

His gases expanded extremely far, it swallowed Mercury and Venus - I can't recall if the Earth

was still there, my data banks are quite full - but it is surely gone now! 


He subsequently collapsed on himself, his core shrunk and his body expanded,

His role in this system, he really commanded

His last page turned over to another, 

Is he ready to recognize his new state, a Red Giant ?

Perhaps I should re-open these hailing frequencies, 

and greet my old friend I adopted as half-brother , 

with whom I shared space and colloquies; 

they'd been shut and I need to talk to my companion on whom I grew so  reliant








No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments