Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Sunday 23 April 2023

466 - Prison Escape - a poem

 


Slowly catching up with my late poem posting, for Emma Mcgann's song writing challenge.

Day 4 : Time Travel (e.h history, make a chage, end of an era)

For this, I remain with the topics of mental illness, as it regards religious trauma, and thus warrants a trigger warning



Prison Escape:

                         There once were bars encircling me

       The steel was wrought from indoctrination

             Tho horse I wasn't, blinkers covered my eyes 

Shackles restrained my hands,  Heavy chains strangling my feet


Cultural activities were illicit, every task bound to a decree

Reading books restricted, I had to follow false narration

Listening to music absolutely prohibited, with a promise of goodbye demise

Playing games chastised, there were only tricks, and no treat


Personal expression was nullified by robotic droning 

Health of the body replaced by prayers

Humility above all, the ego had to die 

The external world deemed unsafe for the spirit

Isolation became a natural state of affairs 

Any deviation would threaten the soul's disowning


                   But, Lo ! My mind awoke with curiosity

It wanted to expand itself out of its supposed impurity

                               The inner lion stirred and rebelled

Chained and shackled, in secret I walked, compelled

                                to seek for personal development,

The tyrant lost some power, my questioning to prevent 


I took off my blinkers, bright light hit my organ of sight,

My hands reached for that apple, it was time for an unrestrained bite 

Eyes swallowed illicit words, ears heard forbidden melodies,

Doors opened to whole new worlds, composing remedies 

Knowledge was born, lies to uncloak 

The bars yielded, bent and broke 

                          The cage was torn asunder !


Through the eye of the needle I escaped, to a world of wonder

Bearing the seeds of dissent, I became a proud rebel scum 

Broader concepts bloomed, the fragments of my person coalescing to a sum 

The prison was behind, building the self had began






* PS : the line Through the eye of the needle I escaped, to a world of wonder 

was initially Out of the gate I escaped, to a world of wonder 


Changes after I translated the poem into French


Listening to music absolutely prohibited, with a promise of goodbye demise

from initial 

Listening to music absolutely prohibited, with a promise of demise


My hands reached for that apple, it was time for an unrestrained bite 

from initial 

My hands reached for that apple, it was time for a bite 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments