Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Friday 19 March 2021

444- Book - Life on High Alert


Book –Life on High Alert

Author: Hannah Rainey
Score: 10/10
Year: 2019
Publisher:  Hannah Rainey
ISBN   152724377X// 9781527243774 
Pages 110
Language: English 

I've mentioned Hannah Rainey on this blog several times before. I already told you that I found her blog entries inspirational on more than one occasion, and that some entries on my blog here have resulted directly from reading her. 

Today, I finished reading her own book, in which she recounts traumatic life events - having been removed from her mother's house at age 4, after several incidences which are, I'll be frank and direct here, sometimes difficult to read - both due the some potentially triggery material about child abuse she experienced, and also because I could relate to some of it, having experienced my own forms of abuse, at the same ages. 

But, despite these difficult and traumatic experiences, which Hannah shares candidly, with no filters, she also shares her story of starting again - as announced on the back cover - after growing up in a more loving home, and wonderfully touching and supportive relationships, one with her best friend, and another with her boyfriend - a relationship which moved me  greatly to read about in more detail in this book, after having chatted and exchanged about with Hannah herself over the years of our online friendship. 

The book isn't solely about her trauma, but also about finding help, therapy and most importantly, finding herself as a person, with the difficulties entailed by her trauma, and the strengths she developed in the courses of those trying years. 

I must warn that several chapters (out of the 21 comprised in the book) have emet triggers.  That said, reading about anyone's trauma, and these triggers, are important to me - 
because in this particular case I get to better know my friend and her experiences, struggles and her post-traumatic growth, which I observed from afar, in our various chats - but even if it hadn't been reading a friend and wanting to further my support with this added knowledge, I'd still read it even if she was a total stranger, because she does write it so well, so poignantly, and that I find some solace in knowing that some of my own experiences are shared - but then again, back to our own case, that we can relate to one another, and have this mutual understanding, further helped in support because of our friendship. 

At any rate, if you fear being triggered but want to read it, I'll repeat my own therapist's advice when I discuss my traumas with others : to consciously take a mental note of the risk I decide to take. I know that it may happen, but I also know why it is that I choose to tell my story - adapted here to 'I choose to read'. 

I therefore chose to read Life on High Alert, and invite you to do the same - with the potentially needed self-aware, conscious risk-taking decision - and read it for yourselves. 

Hannah, I've told you this before, but I'll repeat : i'm proud of you, for having written this difficult memoir ; for having become the person that you are today ; and I thank you for your various inspirational moments and blog entries, for having confided and trusted me in our chats, and most importantly, for your friendship throughout the years. 

A less personal review, though with some similarities, on my Media Garden blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments