Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Sunday 7 June 2020

433- Cancer Survivor Day


I almost forgot to post as I was busy doing art today (and also correcting) some... 

This black ribbon is for skin cancer awareness/skin cancer survivors.
Yes, you read that right, I had blogged about my diagnosis, surgery & post-op about 2 years here on this very blog, under keyword DFSP.


I haven't spoken about it much since then, but still have periodic pains in my scar as nerve endings are still reconnecting, and sometimes my cells regrow- just less frequently and usually, less intensely than it used to be, though I had to use a full gram of pain killer a few days ago when pain was near unbearable.

I am grateful that I had an early diagnosis, that I had a kind dermatologist, who sent me to a special surgery called mohs, that was , luckily, available in our own town. 
(explanation of mohs with no images, on mayo clinic's website).

This mohs was done by a plastic surgeon who specializes in mohs and also skin cancer operations, and he was very kind to let my wife be present in the room, next to me, to help me through it as my anxiety was through the roof, despite having started my anti-anxiety medication shortly before this. 
Despite difficulties, pain and a subsequent slow recovery, having to follow rules for many months, and still having pains, I am on the other side of it.

I am grateful that this particular cancer on the lower leg and nowhere near any organs, and that the various appointments (dermatologist biopsis, , surgeon, and nurses who changed my bandages) were all covered by our national health coverage and that i only had to pay for a few post-op care products, a minuscule % of the total amount.

I am grateful that I didn't need chemo, as I have heard and saw how difficult that can be.

I have fewer regs to follow now, tho I do have to be careful and I go twice a year, every 6ish months, to get checked up for any signs of it coming back, as despite mohs surgery that seems to have taken it all out, there's still a small %risk of it coming back.

I don't know if France has any such awareness days, but I'll follow the UK cancer survivor day and say hey, I'm a skin cancer survivor, even if not the most dangerous.

On the other hand, I have lost several family members to other cancers : my maternal grand-father, who had several brain tumors was the one that marked me the most, as he died merely 4 years after I came back from my traumatic life in my father's cult, and saw how cancer robbed his life but by bit, and chemo wasn't enough for him to beat his massive cancer. 

Other members that I knew even less and farther on my family tree, also had cancers, but I cannot recall which anymore. 

Cancer sucks, as it can put us at risks, especially if they were more severe. In the past few years, I made new friends online, and when one of them was diagnosed with a really dangerous and advanced cancer, I was so afraid for her, following her path through chemo, fighting with the help of her entourage, feeling powerless due to the distance, so I offered all the support that I could, checking on her regularly, sending hugs, love and encouragements, offering my support and presence, and did all that I could to lift her spirits through the process, and after she beat it, also through her healing, as I knew it was critical to show support after this as well. 

I told her many times how I admired her courage, strength and sheer will to survive and beat it, I told her how much I cared and grew to love her as a dear friend, and I can tell you all now, if you know someone who is going through or has had it, check on them, don't think for a moment that they guess how you feel, say it, even when they do! 

Here's to all the survivors of any type of cancer, small, big, dangerous or less: you're never alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments