Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Tuesday 23 October 2018

391 - London - the ending and homebound



For the 8th entry in UK1018 blog series to discussing the last portion of our stay. The previous week had been busy in London itself and on Friday 13th, we had went to Oxford for the Tolkien- maker of Middle Earth exhibit, a day both fun for this goal and for eating vegan pizza, but not for all its winds and difficult trip  back. 


On Saturday 14th we had a partially quiet day. Instead of going out, we received friends at the flat. It was one cosy lunch and chats with everyone, and after they all left, we started packing as we didn't want to do all of it on Sunday, our last full day there. 

After having managed the flight, many trips in overground and tube, in buses, even some during rush hours ; after meeting two of my friends and over 10 flatmates and their friends ; after having been to mueseums, an exhibit, eating in Trafalfar and the pizzeria, all of which I felt was tremendous progress, on that Sunday evening, more people showed up, and it became just too overwhelming for me. 

I had a panic attack and remained upstrairs in our temporary room, but Octavian was very nice about it when he saw me struggling as I had come downstrairs and was pondering if I should skip dinner alltogether, he gave me a big hug, and told me to go back up and relax, that no one would be mad at me and that I do what I need to relax and feel safe. He and Martin (the wife's cousin) both brought me food and checked on me several times, and for their kindness, and for receiving us, and being so understanding and helping with finances, I'm very grateful.

I wasn't able to join the group that evening and when it was time, we went to sleep.


Anxiety levels weren't bad at all for this gathering, as I managed to talk about geek stuff & we ate in the open garden on a nice sunny afternoon. The others were also somewhat introvert and very easy to chat with.  

Monday 15th was our departure. We got up quite early as I wanted to arrive to the airport in time - they said 2 hours before gates open. I wished to have an extra hour in the various transits to get there, as I feared morning rush hour would delay, and it indeed did. It turned out that we needed half an hour for our very first overground, as they had all been too full. Even once on, I stood the entire trip, and it was only after 15 or so minutes and halfway to our next stop that people got off and it became easier for me to move and I found a spot by the windows, to half sit half stand, and have my lugage at my feet, instead of holding it all in one hand, whilst holding myself strady with the other. 

All transits done, we arrive at the airport and ready about 10:45, an extra 15 minutes before our requested arrival time. Nonetheless, it was too early, as we had to wait for 12:40 just to get info on which gate we'd board from - but since our security line was extremely fast ( only 15-20 minutes, considering the time and that it's London) we would have been a tad less early had this phase taken as long as we feared (30-90). 

The flight arrived from elsehwere, delayed. My biggest complain is about being told to board way before the plane is even ready. We had to wait the line, been told about this first delay, went back to sit for about an hour. Then, showing of passport & ticket to the boarding agent, then out the door... unto the airport's stairs... where we waited 10-15 additional minutes, before the door downstairs opened, to walk into the fresh, stinky, airport, noisy air... and wait again at the foot of the plane's stairs, because the flight attendants weren't done prepering. Another few minutes, and finally up! 

There, you always wait... when they are ready, the pilot, the attendants, all repeat announcements about the flight, its destination, security measures are shown, and after a while more, we taxi, and take off. In the end, however, we left about an hour after the initial announced departure, and landed only 20 minutes late. Getting off, standing in an arrival queue to show passports, and finally out of the damn airport and ready for our friend Antony to pick us up. 

This monday we left the flat at 7:45 UK time (8:45 French) and came back at about 18:45. A whole 10 hours, for a 1h30 flight! 

All in all, anxiety levels weren't too bad on this trip back-  apart for the overground from New Cross gate and halfway to Highbury & Islington, due to the severe sardine-packed carriage. Once this point passed, things got easier. Once back in home-city, there were different kinds of feelings, those of disgust at smokers who come right next to you, and a few minutes later, leave their cigarette still lit in a trashcan. 

In my next entry, I'll discuss a comparison and a conclusion to this trip, so stay tuned for that, and for the last photo-posting on Instagram, before I can finally start doing so on my photo blog, with comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments