Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Monday 22 October 2018

388 - London 5 - The V&A



(image: my ow photo, a view from within the V&A, which I desaturated and added the text)

Because I didn't have computer access during our trip to London, I didn't blog on a daily basis as I wished. I therefore tell the tales after a fashion, and had ot divided my 4K+ word long entry into several posts.

I continue with the adventures we had after St James Park. 



Wednesday 10th we took a long ride to the V&A (short for Victoria & Albert), a wonderful mueseum with 145 galleries spread over 6 levels, to which we arrived around 14:30, meeting with Jan (one of the flatmates).  Since the V&A closes at 17:45, you can rightly assume that we didn't have enough time to finish viewing everything. I loved the eclectic collections and variety in representation of art and medium, having paintings, sculptures and fashion collections - and, from the parts we didn't see, also ceramics, jewelery, glass and iron works, and a lot more! 

I most definetely wish to re-visit the V&A, arriving much earlier, in the morning, and taking the proper time to see a lot more art! When it's so varied and not condensed in time, it's easier to appreciate, and I don't tend to have an "art-indigestion". 

I love that in London, permanent collections cary no admission fee, and are free for all. One has to pay only for temp exhibits, and one can also donate. I wish there was a membership for a shorter period that the entire year option, because 70£ for a few days' vacation wouldn't be an advantage unless we'd visit mueseums all day and every day. 

Of note, this mueseum has a lift (elevator for non-brit english speakers), which is great for accessibility. There are, as most but not all mueseums, benches spread around the galleries. It's beautifully lit and decorated. 

After the V&A, we parted ways with Jan, who went back to the flat, and we took the tube 2 stops in the opposite direction. We went to Earl's court, where, right outside and in front of the tube station, we took photos of us in front of one of the last blue telephone boxes left in the city, aka a Tardis box. We bought a few geeky nicknacks before we hopped back on the tube, and headed to the flat, with art and geek on mind. 

A few photos had been posted from my phone to Instagram, to which I'll add from the camera, and from both, I'll post to the photo blog in due time. 

There was no particular anxiety in this part, but a tad at the nicknack shop, about possible theft and also about the prices. In the end, we chose a few items and headed back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments