Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Saturday 19 May 2018

359- My waking hours' LifeStyle



I discussed my sleep in several facets : my difficult, interrupted sleep ; my habits ; the benefits that I wish to attain from sufficient sleep, and today, I'm going to expand this series with my lifestyle in the waking hours. 


Indeed, health issues can arise not only from insufficient sleep, but from improper lifestyle, so I try to keep mine as balanced as possible. 


Things I don't do and why:

  • I don't smoke ; cigarettes because I don't want to smell bad, nor risk cancer and cardiovascular disease. I want to breathe properly and not have yellow teeth and walls in the apartment. (I also avoid second-hand/ passive smoking, by moving away from smokers) 
  • I don't smoke anything else for that matter, nor do any form of drugs, mellow, medium nor hard. I just don't want to use these artificial paradises of thought and mood changing chemical factories, even the most natural forms of them. 
  • I don't drink alcohol as I not only dislike the smell but also the feeling of losing control. Though I'll cover this topic elsewhere, I saw too much what alcoholism does and I know my potential to become one, so I just avoid it altogether. 
  • I don't drink sodas and carbonated drinks either - I dislike the sensation and they are far too sweet, with far too many bad ingredients.
  • As a vegan (see bellow) I don't eat dairy and animal products - it's not only ethical and more environmentally friendly, but has also a host of health benefits (shall let you read about this topic, there are many sources). 
  • I'm not a thrill-seeker so I naturally avoid high-risk activities. 
Things that I do,  (may improve), and why:
  • I lead a vegan lifestyle - beyond a diet, it's a view of the world and life, in respect, kindness and compassion. 
  • I try to eat balanced, though I don't necessarily count every single ingredient and nutritional value. I eat enough veggies, and though I eat fruits too, I need to improve my intake. I also need to improve my variety, as all these help to balance nutrients from all sources and thus have enough vitamins and so on. 
  • I do try my best to get whole products such as whole rice or whole wheat, unrefined sugar, fresh produce from the market - when possible even organic- and so on. 
  • I avoid as much as possible, eating junk good, though occasional chips (crisps for the brits) , or another salty or sweets are there, I just don't over-eat them too often.
  • When possible, snacks are healthy : fruits, dried fruits (raisins for ex), 
  • Overall, I cut down on processed foods, and prefer healthier ones, including ones with fibers. 
  • I limit coffee intake. I don't cut it fully out unless I feel extremely anxious, or need a break for some reason. I only get organic fair trade kind. 
  • I aim to drink enough water in the day, though sometimes my mental health makes me forget this precious H2O. 
  • I don't ever cook in microwaves, preferring the stove and oven - and being careful what the pans are made off. 
  • When I think about it, I practice all kinds of self-care routines, some included next
  • Variation in activities, on & offline. It helps cutting down screen time, and burning out on anything. Variety keeps the mind alert and on long term should help my memory and concentration 
  • Also to help memory & concentration, some of the games I play are geared for the mind: scrabble, numbers games and such. 
  • When possible, I walk to my errands ; 
  • I Also hike in nature. 
  • When in better shape, I also do some exercices at home. Physical fitness keeps both mind and body in better shape and releases endorphines etc etc for improved circulation, stamina, immune system and so on 
  • I keep to routines as much as I can, but it's good to have room for flexibility in the day. 
  • Sleep habits. 
  • I supplement - Vitamin B12 due to a deficiency and others when in need (such as loading on C when sick with a cold) 
  • we, humans, like other animals, are social creatures. It is important to maintain friendships, meet and spend time, talk and have activities. This is good on so many levels, for social coping when in need of support, but also when we don't struggle, as it helps keep us busy, entertained, enriched through inter-change of knowledge, experiences and any activity that we do with friends can be pleasant, creative, recreational, or physical exercices through going to see them, hike with them and so on. I try my best to have friends, even if the majority have always been online. These friendships also keep our mind alert, and thus helps ward of memory loss and improves concentration, unless something else contradicts this in our lifestyle. 
As you saw, some of these need improving:

  • Drinking enough water on regular basis, not in spurts 
  • Eating more fruits, more often 
  • Make more efforts at self-care, even when depressed and feeling it to be pointless 
  • Once certain phobias and other difficulties dealt with, there are a few other matters I need to improve but shan't detail now 
Keeping a healthier lifestyle doesn't only affect one's physical health by improving stamina and the immune system's capacity to ward off illness and reducing many risks, but it also affect one's mental health, as it is part of our overall health. Keeping in shape can help reducing many symptoms, though it doesn't cure in itself our mental illnesses, and that these can require either medication, therapy, support, it really helps to keep a healthy lifestyle in the day time and sleeping enough at night. 

This brings at least a temporary conclusion to this current series of sleep and waking lifestyle series, but may be expanded upon in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments