Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Friday 18 May 2018

358- Benefits of proper sleep


since my pc isn't currently available, I'm using a copyright free image I found online, and only added my text. 

So you know that I sleep rather badly, due to my mental illnesses, most notably depression, anxiety and cptsd. I discussed my sleep habits, and now I'll explain why I wish to improve my sleep. 

Health magazine discusses 11 surprising benefits from sleep, and although some also require a lot of personal effort and commitment, such as training for sports, proper sleep surely plays a role. Each of their points cover more than one benefit. 





  • I want to boost my mood, as I suffer from chronic depression, SAD, and mood swings (relating at least to my cptsd). Better sleep can mean that these struggles with mood swings and depression should be reduced. I don't think that this alone shall cure and keep depression and mood swings at bay, since in my case they aren't solely resulting from bad sleep, but from very complex and multiple factors, but any improvement is good to take. 
  • I may not have under-eye circles, but I sure know when I look as tired as I feel inside.
  • My heart-rate may be good, and my overall healthy lifestyle and diet help avoiding heart-disease, but since there are some family antecedents, I should improve my sleep to insure my heart remains healthy. 
  • As I said in my other entry, I do suffer from memory loss, due to several factors, including sleep deprivation and repeated interruptions. Improve my sleep should alleviate part of this loss. 
  • Better sleep and better memory can help in turn my other struggles: concentration and attention ; and all subsequent activities which necessitate both: reading, learning, talking with people, etc. 
  • My struggles with self-esteem and confidence aside, I don't do art and creative outlets as often as I wish. Maybe this is another aspect as described in the article, where revamped sleep could and hopefully will add this benefit to my artistic and creative endeavors. 
  • If I ever have to take a class or course or if I manage finding another job, these improvements would benefit my grades, studies or tasks, respectively. 
  • Improved concentration, attention and memory shall in turn help avoiding accidents, at least those which depend on my own skills and alertness. 
  • Better sleep shall help replenish my physical energy more efficiently, and thus help keeping my mind and overall health at higher conditions 
  • I do suffer from occasional inflammations, some back aches, stiff joints which I always hope won't become arthritis. Improving sleep should help reducing all of these. 
  • If sufficient sleep helps fighting heart and cardiovascular disease by strengthening the heart and cardio-system, then this would help fighting my high stress as well, which is always beneficial in my book! 
I don't believe that sleeping more makes one a winner in itself, but that it requires several kinds of efforts, but sleep is one factor out of these. 


Sleeping helps us feel better, mentally and physically. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments