Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Saturday 9 December 2017

304 - 52weekgratitude - 49- Winter


2017 is near its end - already! and we're also on week 49 of this 52weekgratitude, a challenge that is about to go poof at the same time as the year vanishes and merges into the next - one where I'll probably do another challenge instead. 


So, this week's topic is simple : Winter. Except that winter for me isn't an easy season to bare with ; it's cold, far too cold for my chronic hypothermia, and I need to wear so many extra layers that I feel every single outing is an excursion and a production.

Winter's also very damp, humid, moist, rainy, and sometimes icy, or snowy. The soil needs this water, but my bones don't care for it one bit. The snow and ice can be tough to walk upon.

Winter's also a season of long dark days and longer dark nights. We barely see the sun, and my struggles with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) which is a very specific kind of depression become quite tough to deal with.

So what can I be thankful for in this season ? 

I am grateful for foods, mostly the same fruits and veggies as in autumn. 
I am be grateful that during those long and dark days, we can invite friends to watch longer movies, or play longer social games, and not have to sweat during these experiences.  
I'm also grateful about the beauty that snow looks, especially white-capped mountains in the area. 
I'm thankful that I have a roof on my head, to stay away from the elements. 
I'm thankful for support that I receive and books that I can read, to remain active and tell SAD that I should take the lead. 
I'm thankful I've enough atheist friends to celebrate the cultural xmas holiday in a secular way and that i'm not forced into a theists' propaganda, and that I can spend quality time with my besties. 

Also, this year marked a first card exchange with my closest friends from twitter mental health community, so I'm thankful to the ones who trusted me with their addresses and look forward to discovering the next cards, as only 3 arrived thus far. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments