Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Saturday 2 December 2017

301- 52weekgratitude - 48 - (past) Job(s)


I don't currently hold a job, the topic of 52weekgratitude's 48th week, but, I'd like to discuss, quickly, the positive aspects of my previous professional occupation : that of a librarian.


Although I was only a beginner and not a librarian per-se* in each of my positions, I enjoyed a growing autonomy in ordering and cataloguing books, which were my favorite activities in 2 of the libraries I worked at. 

(* when I say I wasn't precisely a librarian, it's due to the French system and how they divide the work into categories. I was some-kind of librarian-assistant but couldn't venture how to call it exactly for Anglophone terms).

One of my jobs was for a mobile-library unit ; there were 5 of us, in alternating shifts. One driver & one librarian or assistant such as I was. During our travels in the library truck, on the way to any one of the 80 or so libraries in the countryside, I'd enjoy the landscapes and eventually brought with me my first bridge camera, as I had nothing to do but small-talk with my colleague and look outside of the windows. 

The roads to some of these libraries were really beautiful and I still keep most of the best shots I took in my various trips, on our way to deliver culture to remote villages. 
I have some fond memories, about which I am grateful. 

All of these positions also offered me direct and easy access to books, with unlimited supplies and I could borrow them for as long as I wish, unless someone would reserve particular books. 
Thus, I read many books - especially on my way to the 3rd job as I had to ride trains for it. 
You probably know by now how important books are to me, don't you ? 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments