Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Saturday 4 November 2017

287- 52weekgratitude 44 : Holidays

Week 44 of 52weekgratitude is about holidays. 

I don't really like any holiday. Those I do celebrate, I do so in a secular way, to break the monotony of everyday life ; and, I have to admit, to please my wife who likes some of them, especially Halloween for which we sometimes dress up and have makeup and photo shoots, as well as eating squash, but that part is for entire season and I'd eat squashes even if it weren't for any celebration whatever. 


In my youth, I didn't celebrate Christmas as I was in a religious cult with varied aspects, including Jewish holidays which I hated as they were full of socializing and having to pretend that I liked the company, and since my abusive father was always there, it was difficult and I had to lead a double life and pretend all was okay.

The first few years back with my maternal side of the family were also very tough and this post is supposed to be about gratitude, where I can express it now: I'm grateful for my wife who brought a more chilled and relaxed approach to celebrating cultural holidays, and pointing out the secular ways to avoid the over-religious and consumerist aspects, and to enjoy her company, and in time, that of our local friends whom we invite around the day for meals, movies and/or games, in a good spirit.

She also helped temper down my family's depressive discussions, which I'd been unable to divert them away from such negativity, all these years, so she took over and redirected them to more festive conversations. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments