Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Tuesday 6 June 2017

248 - My 14 year vegan anniversary!

I chose a lifestyle of compassion very early in my life, and despite a few occasions where I was forced to eat chicken and fish in my youth as I couldn't refuse my father's orders about it in those times, I have always striven to be the best version of myself and to eat according to my own philosophal belief system. 

As a result, I was vegetarian most of my life, because I didn't know how the dairy was involved with so much animal cruelty, but when a friend told me about this in October 2002, I researched and educated myself, confirming her information. I could no longer eat cheese, but had given up on drinking milk years before that as I had been found out to be "lactose intolerant" which is actually I notion I find very stupid, because humans shouldn't drink non-human milk in the first place... Not only because dairy= cruelty, but also because we are totally different kinds of animals than cows, goats, sheep, camel, or a jenny... (= female donkey). 

Anyway, I never really liked honey, so all I had to do was read ingredients and weed out dairy-based products from all the foods I was buying, and thus woke up on June 6, 2003 after I had eaten the last vegetarian but not vegan ingredient the previous day.

So, today marks my 14 years vegan anniversary! wooooot! 

When I'm asked why, I reply that I am because


  • 1) it's not our right to eat animals. Period. There is no humane way to raise & kill animals to eat them. There isn't. There won't be. Because killing is wrong. We already know it with humans; why not extend to fellow living creatures? In short, my choice is ethically and philosophically based. 


  • 2) It's better for the environment as you shall see in the 2 images below about how much we impact it just by refusing to eat animals. 

In 14 years, I haven't eaten 5,110 animals. I haven't participated in animal torture and murder, nor in all the ressources in grain and water necessary in animal farming. 

I haven't participated in the deforestation of massive proportions, nor in the pollution and CO2 resulting from deforestation, animal farming, transporting etc. 

These are official numbers that I found on the vegan calculator  in imperial and metric measures, proving that being vegan does impact the world in many ways. 



By refusing to participate, I not only help save on pollution and deforestation, but also on all possible outcomes from my own choice. Every person counts for this, as the ressources saved from each of us can grow into massive proportions and could potentially help feed the entire human population, if we all made these efforts together.   


  • 3 ) It's better for our health. Read about it, you'll be astonished at the benefits of plant based eating habits. It helps reduce many health risks, from cardiovascular diseases to cancers, statistically prolonging human life and in better condition, as long as you don't counteract with lots of stress and bad habits such as smoking, drinking too much or abuse bad drugs.  


However, BEING vegan is different than having a vegan diet. For me, it's a lifestyle and a philosophy of LIFE. I not only eat vegan, but I AM vegan. 

Veganism i
sn't a religion either as there is no god or deity concept behind it, only compassion and kindness to other living beings. 

When I am asked by people who are open minded, I can discuss some of my reasons, but due to carnophobia which is the fear of corpses, that triggers an emetophobic reaction, by giving me severe nausea just talking about some words, I prefer to avoid explaining too much and prefer to direct people to read and educate themselves. 

I cannot stand some people's reactions of "you're an extremist" or "stop making me feel guilty" or "so, what CAN you eat?". 

Let me finish this post by the few replies I can give to those statements and question


  • 1) I am an extremist when it comes to compassion and kindness. I am an extremist when it comes to calling out on animal abuse, torture and murder. It's much better than being extremely selfish about it, preferring to eat and not think about the impact of my food choices. 


  • 2) I am not making anyone feel guilty. That is the person's own conscience, as knowing something to be wrong and still doing it calls out for guilty feelings. If my information disturbs, it should : this information IS disturbing, because, again, there is no reason to eat animals and there is no need. The industries are lying to you on a daily basis. The medical corps is lying about it, too. Although a few scientific research teams have finally given clearer indications that plant-based eating is better for us - the lobbies are still trying to hush this information because it is in their financial interest. 


  • 3) It's not about what I can, but chose to eat. Being vegan isn't a diseases, it's a choice - that one I said earlier : the choice of compassion over any easy eating options that are readily available. 


So, what CAN I eat ? everything that omnis do. Minus the animal products and bi-products. I can eat all the fruits and veggies, minus the ones I don't actually like. 

I can eat legumes, and I actually love them a lot. Not to confuse which french "légumes" which are vegetables, off course. 

I can eat cereals and seeds. 

The list is very long, actually. 

When I hear that science proved that humans must eat 5 fruits and veggies a day, I laugh, because most days my count is 10-12 ; sometimes 15.

I am very passionate and proud to be a vegan, and will never apologize for it. 

I see far too many animal based photos online, people talking about their meals all the time, and when it's my turn, I hear "stop being one of those vegans" when I'm not even saying anything... Why do I have to apologize for my compassionate choices ?! 

I chose to be vegan. This is a major part of who I AM. It is a major part of what defines me as a person and my belief system in a philosophical and ethical meaning. 

Lastly, why vegan ? why not ? After 14 years, I'm not about to stop! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments