Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Wednesday 15 February 2017

181 - Vegan q&a (2)

As announced, Feb 11th marked my 5000 days since I became vegan - after a lifelong vegetarian lifestyle.

3 months ago, I participated in the vegan tag and thought to conduct another q&a which I now address. 

I received very few questions, just like aforementioned tag. In spite of this, there should be enough to fill this post, because one of them requires a longer response.




  1. I'll start with Ekaterina's question which is What do you like more, tofu or beans/lentils? - My answer is that I don't have such a preference. I love all those beans and legumes.  Then, Andreas asked : 
  2. Did you have a period of being vegetarian before going vegan? Cause, I'd like to know a bit of such a switch. I'm vegetarian. To this, my response was "yup I was veggie for 20some years before going vegan. it took me 9 months to switch, reading labels & culling out last non vegan". I expand this and add that at least in France, many products are made with dairy products or bi-products, honey, or a lot worse. Many of the additives are only labeled as an E.... which I have to decipher. When in doubt, I abstain fro buying until I find information about it at home (I rarely have WiFi coverage within stores, so I can't check it on my smartphone). Same goes to all kinds of ''aromas'' which can be anything. In spite of social anxieties, I periodically call companies to ask them directly what they use.
  3. Andreas' last question I'd also like to know if you've met some prejudice, cause I know I did as vegetarian. The answer to this is that sadly, most or all of us vegetarians in an omni environment meet with many prejudices, misunderstanding and oftentimes ill-chosen jokes and comments are made by mean-spirited people, at our expanse. 
Indeed, this is probably one of the hardest aspects of this lifestyle. Many people are afraid of change and anything different - this is true for any kind of bigotry. 

I live in a very agricultural portion of France ; I met with very backwards mindsets and have heard many derogatory comments, snooty questions and some awful acts by some people - not only from those one would expect (peasants and farmers of the area) but also from supposedly more educated populations (even in libraries). 

I might make a separate entry about those acts and hurtful words, but for the moment shall concentrate on a few points :
  • If one lives in a omni-environment and becomes veggie or vegan, it's almost bound to attract mean people ; however, you are never alone in facing, and can rely either on many online ressources to answer with, or choose to ignore and not lose your time and energy to respond- most won't engage in respectful dialogue with curiosity that may help you make your point
  • you cannot really convince a person who made up his or her mind about the topic. You can only help sway those who already doubt their upbringing in the omni-culture 
  • in spite of the amount of awful people who may cause you to doubt your choice or regret having told them about it, there are also those who are on the verge of changing (see previous point), or, better yet, already there. By sharing and talking, you may find others who share your philosophy and thus, create possible bonds and friendships, receiving and giving mutual support and exchange ideas, recipes and not worry about eating together should you meet in person 
  • More and more people question the zeitgeist. Things are slowly changing. 20 years ago, you could never imagine how many would soon embrace this lifestyle that they had criticized. Restaurants and stores are offering more often options for all of us veggies and sometimes, vegans. Many are now 100% there, too. You won't necessarily see a dead corpse on your neighbor's plate next restaurant you visit. 
  • you know you made ''the right choice'', embracing compassion and not only eating healthier foods, but also more ecologically and ethically are important steps. Not everyone's ready for this, yet. But, humanity may be heading there, willing or not.... 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments