Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Wednesday 26 October 2016

144- CBT2016- 9 & 10



As you may recall from my regular posts about my current CBT, my therapist sends me with new exposure tasks from session to session, as well as having to continue all my previous exposures ; for the sake of space-saving and repetition-avoiding, I shan't necessarily log for each session and it starts  with this entry, corresponding to 2 CBT sessions - my 9th & 10th (dated 4 & 21 October). 


During the 9th, I had to learn to talk with the painters who came to paint a couple walls in our apartment ; the task was difficult but I made it ok, offering them a drink, and asking a few practical questions. 
The anxiety of their presence - strangers in my home - was quite high. However, as they didn't stay here all day long (like I thought they would), it helped me greatly that they left on their own for their lunch break (I was dreading having to tell them not to eat here - I didn't even have to) ; they would work 2-3 hours at a time, and go to other jobs. 

This had left me more time than I had anticipated, and reduced some of my anxiety. 

I had put off my other major exposure task, that of going to the health department and sorting unexpected issues I experienced this summer each time I went to the hospital for my CBT ; indeed, I had changed my first and middle names 9 years ago, and had never had any problem with this - till 2 months ago. 

I finally went there just before my 10th CBT session, fixing what the health department called ''nom d'usage'', which is dumb because they shortened my full name and created a mess... oh well, I fixed the issue with them, though I wish I could be more assertive and actually complain about this. 

On top of all my my exposures that I have to practice regularly so I don't loose momentum, I have 4 additional ones from my 75/100 anxiety level, and they are:
Asking directions or help from strangers ; sending letters or cards to friends ; sit next to strangers and make official phone calls. 

I have come quite far from the first session back in late May. In just under 4 months, I have made a log of progress, though there is still also a lot to do. My social anxieties won't just disappear over such a short period, not after suffering from them for 3 decades. 
But, I am confident that my exposures thus far and the next ones should bring me to a more comfortable level by the end of this year - or early 2017, depending on the pace of my sessions (every 2-3 weeks thus far), after which I assume I shall continue my own exposures for social anxieties, and start working on 2 other phobias, with the same therapist.. more on that, in due time.


My next session should be on 9 November ; till my next entry, have a nice day and thank you for reading me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments