Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Thursday 1 September 2016

135- Suicide Awareness (1) : why is it important to raise it ?



September is national (US) suicide prevention awareness month - a mouthful title for another very important in mental health. 

On the 10th, the entire world will join this action. 

I believe that the stigma of this topic is made even more strongly than general mental health, because it relates to death - and more precisely to a person who takes away their own life, which is contrary to our innate self preservation instinct. 

Yet, over a MILLION people commit suicide every year, worldwide. 
One person commits suicide every 40 seconds. Every 40 seconds. 

How is that possible ? How is it that so many feel they have no hope, no possible improvement in their life conditions that they not only think about taking their own lives, but actually do it?



The answers aren't easy - and I'm afraid I don't have many to offer right now. 
I have discussed just a few days ago how my own hopelessness and depression lead me to suicide ideation and a few attempts, but, in the end, since I didn't want to feel any pain in the process and have found no  painless way of dying, learned to continue living and later my situation improved radically. 

I know that in my own experience, if I had done through ending my life, and if there is such a thing as the afterlife - I'd be mad at myself for not waiting.

One of the most important things I can think off to answer the first question of this post : Why is important to raise awareness about suicide ? Because, I believe that talking about it can shed light on the issues and through dialogue a bridge of emotional support can be built between people. 

In turn, this support can lead a person to reevaluate their life conditions and might very well see that there is actually hope around the corner - and if that's the case, can change their mind and climb out of the pit - into the light, into LIFE. 

In spite of difficult moments we all experience in life, there is also much beauty and happiness to enjoy. From love to beauty to human interaction to developing one's skills and achieve our potentials, everything and a lot more can be lived. 

We can help one another, we can bring positive changes to our world - only if we are alive, because, normally, our lives are a gift from the universe and I think it'd be good to accept it.

Until I think or find more to say, let's continue to raise awareness about this serious topic - if we can prevent a person from ending their life today,  tomorrow or the next day, so much the better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments