Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Monday 6 June 2016

83- Random acts of compassion



Today, I was in the right place in the right moment, so I could perform an act of compassion.

It doesn't have to cost anything, it doesn't have to be a ''huge thing''  it can be as simple as my small tale :


On the way from a shoe store to the tram, heading home, I decided to take a detour and buy some bread. I turned around, crossed the street and started walking to the bakery, and just a minute later saw a female sparrow on the ground. She clearly couldn't fly nor even get back up on her feet. I fear that maybe her neck got also hurt,  and she was in the sun.

I know that birds love the sun, normally, but when hurt, this can be fatal - just as much as anyone arriving too fast on a bicycle and wouldn't notice her, or cats or any other danger one can think off in the city. 


My first task was to bring her to the shade. This took me a few minutes, trying to gently set her on a small shopping bag I had unfolded. But, she was scared (of course, I could be trying to eat her). She struggled but I managed to get her onto the bag and into the shade.

A couple phone calls later, I decided to take her to the local bird rescue center, the Bird Doctor I referred to on twitter earlier. I know someone who works there and I know how dedicated are the people working or volunteering there. 


Delicately, I set her into my big shopping bag next to the shoes, put my hand under her and partially closed it for shade, but off course big enough to let the air in. 

I walked gently to the tram and the subsequent bus, and very gently stroke her on the side to calm her down - still holding her in the palm of my hand under the bag, to reduce the shaking from the road bumps.

Another half an hour, and she arrived safely to the bird shelter where someone took her immediately to be cared for. 

One of the volunteers took me coordinates, and I went back home quite starved for a meal but relieved that this sparrow might be safe and sound once she gets treatment, and I really hope that she makes it. 


I was shocked that no one bothered to take care of her-  there were dozens and dozens of people walking by her with total disregard. 

No one came to offer me assistance.

All i got were looks as if I was a total alien - hey, they'd look at me like that if I had an elephants trunk, wings, horns and a furry body... or if I had some odd skin color, like green & yellow, purple and silver...  

In the bus, someone across came and asked if I had a bird in there. I said yes, I found her wounded and am on my way to the rescue. He got off the bus and said nothing else.

Another guy who also came to check on me, shocked me when he motioned strangling a neck and got off, as if the only thing to do was to actually murder this poor creature... 

This is why I wanted to compose my entry : we are all creatures and have the right to live, in peace and dignity. 

Not just humans, but all living beings have a role on this planet. 

No one's superior to anybody, no matter what is said in our culture. 

If I saved her life, the sparrow will know a certain joy - anyone who's been hurt and taken care of and nursed back to life would be.

If it was unfortunately too late and the rescue cannot save her, she'll have a far less painful death than flailing on the ground and walk-by by indifferent humans, too busy and self-focused, too close minded and especially, with stone hearts.


I think the one guy would've actually killed her, instead... But, luckily for her, I was driven by my bread gluttony straight to her and as I want to think positively, I hope that I helped saving her life and thus, generations of sparrows will come forth... 

Remember to make acts of kindness and compassion as much as you can. It may appear small & trivial, but it'll mean everything to the person - human or non-human alike. 

It can be anything, from offering your support to a friend in need, to helping in any tangible way you can come up with : there are no limits to what kindness and compassion can be. 

Update 9 June  : I just called the bird rescue center and found out that the sparrow died before the end of the treatment. There was apparent head trauma, and I'll assume she ran into a pole, or the ads billboard, or a window. The woman I spoke with said in such cases, it's impossible to know and it's 50-50% chances for survival. 
I'm very sad to hear this but I know that birds are fragile (especially if she was laying on the ground for a very long time before I arrived), and that I did the right thing to try save her by taking her to the center and if I had to do it again, I will. 

I firmly believe in acts of compassion and kindness,  both to humans and other living beings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments