Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Sunday 26 June 2016

103 -Special Edition 5 - PTSD Awareness month (4) - PTSD 8


So, yesterday was another anniversary in my long traumatic years. It was a day I landed on foreign soil, many many years ago. I was one more child who paid a heavy price after his parents divorced and couldn't agree as to the proper way to raise me. 



During this ugly divorce and feud, one parent had custody, and the other had visitation rights. On one such an occasion, that parent decided extend the visit. If it'd depended solely on him, endlessly. 

So, on that fated day, after many weeks evading pursuers, we arrived to a far away land where I had to survive the next decade and a half.

Now, as I mentioned, it's quite common to have post-traumatic flashbacks on anniversaries of difficult events. I often experienced them myself, even when I'd forgotten that a certain ''today'' was such an anniversary, and it would often put me in a bad space, in my mind. 

If you have never experienced flashbacks, you may not be able to fully understand the emotional impact having them can have as any number of triggers can bring them back to the surface. 

I managed, here and then, to reduce their presence in my life, and overall have had a huge progress in this regard. 

These past few days, I tried to remain fully concentrated, aware and yet not let any negativity reach me, because negative emotions can fragilise and open the door to those flashbacks.

I'm very happy to say that I haven't had a single one during these days, as I remained also active by reading, listening to music or vlogs, watched tv and in preparations for a soon to come weekend trip. 

One more step in my healing process, and a personal victory.

Healing is possible, even from tremendous cPTSD and flashbacks. 

Believe in yourself, your abilities to overcome and rely on your loved ones to support you on both the good and the bad days. 

Let me repeat it,

Healing is possible, even from tremendous cPTSD and flashbacks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments