Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Thursday 5 May 2016

57- Special edition 2 : Mental health awareness month (5) -Misconceptions



Day 5 of mental health week (MHW2K16) corresponds to misconceptions people can have about various mental illnesses.

I find myself at a loss for words right now, maybe because I'd been so busy and had to backtrack several days' worth of posts which I then translate into French for my non-anglophone french friends, so my brain is a bit tired.

To avoid merely copy pasting what others have said thus far about it, I'll let you discover these people, their stories and their own words, as they have said it much clearer than I can do at the moment.

This link is an example, but other videos might be available without the hashtags, so you'll have to expand just like I plan to do.





Now, I can talk about an experience I had once, which sheds light on the fact that some people don't understand and don't care to : I was at an evening of the local café, and during its last part we were sharing various dishes people had brought. At some point, I was separated from a friend and I started to feel that knot in the belly, full of anxiety in this big social event which attracted over 60 guests (already too much for me).

Standing aside, between the wall, a plant and the tables, I felt totally stuck and unable to run away, and incapable to ask people to move so I could extricate myself out of this situation.

I also experienced some dizzy spell, because I hadn't eaten enough prior to this event and the hunger was growing, when a woman approached me and ask if I'd eat anything. I tried to explain (In french, off course) that I had that knot because I had social phobia and that I felt quite uneasy at that moment.
I could see that she was pondering the meaning behind my explanation, but didn't inquire any further : she shrugged (very literally) and left me in my corner, still stuck, feeling hurt because I wasn't able to do anything, and also because I felt totally misunderstood.

It took me a good long while before I could leave, and I had actually missed the tram to go back home. Once I  managed coming back home, I just exploded in tears, so much this experience troubled me.

Ever since, I have had to attend this monthly event only with someone I knew I could trust to help me in cases of crisis : either my wife, or a close friend.

That night, I learned more than ever that many french people really don't care and would rather be left ignorant and let others suffer.

This, off course, isn't the case with everyone, luckily : my close friends are very patient with me and try to invite me when they know that I can attend. Or, they accept my invitations, because my own appartement is more confortable for me and if I feel bad (which has happened during the earlier stages of our friendships), I can always retire to another room to recollect.

I think it's important not to make generalizations ; even though the french culture is deeply rooted in an apathetic approach, there are those who are open minded and it is with such people that I feel most at ease, because we are alike. These are the people I choose as friends, those hippies and geeks, those who don't judge my many flaws and difficulties, but try to help any way they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments