Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Saturday 7 May 2016

59- Special edition 2 : Mental health awareness month (7) - Community



On this last day of Mental Health Week 2016, I want to discuss the sense of community created by the various vloggers on yourtube, where I heard about this particular week.

Indeed, the topics of mental health aren't easy for any of us to share. To the initiative of one blogger Kristen all the vloggers followed and posted daily videos on their channel, and all inter-connected and linked to one another with the hashtag MHW2K16 to help the search.

Every day had a topic which almost everyone followed according to their own mental health issues and with their personal styles.

I really want to applaud this community of people who had the courage to share very private details about themselves and who participated every day to bring awareness to various mental illnesses from which we all (in this community) suffer at various degrees.






I personally haven't had the guts to film myself talking, yet along post it on this social network that is youtube, visible for all, because of my particular story. I have a long way to go before I can break the shackles of fear instilled in me from my very young formative years and which have, still, tremendous effects in my adult life.

Instead, I followed the week by posting on this blog, my personal self-expression tool which I hope will be read and spread some awareness as well, in spite of the fact that I didn't post videos.

I also want to address to the community the message that it is our duty to remain united and never stop bringing awareness to the people at large, break the taboos and misconceptions, for a better mutual understanding between us all and help society to progress in its views and treatment of those who suffer from any kind of illness, be it physical or mental.

Let's also remember that there will always be someone out there to hate us for our differences and call us names, berate and judge us, and generally view us as monsters. That was very well shown by Sarah's video regarding misconceptions of BPD a few days ago where she read aloud comments she'd printed off a forum. Comments which show the ignorance and violence some people can have towards us all, and just use the illness as an excuse, a tool, to express their close mindedness and sometimes even sociopathic misogyny.

Like Sarah did, we need to respond to these attacks and call out the bullshit and send it where to belongs : to the trash with the rest of the toxic wastes our human race creates so profusely.

I conclude this MH2K16 but the mental health awareness month shall be continued in further posts, a bit less frequently.

Thank you, Kirsten, for your idea which garnered a tremendous success. If you or anyone else starts this again next year, I'll be sure to participate once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments