Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Monday 15 February 2016

8- Phobias…



Cyclothymia and phobias: some of my afflictions.

In the intro of the blog, I said '' Welcome, this is my blog on topics about psychology, especially social phobias and other I suffer, as cyclothymia.

I now divide the phobias I suffer or have suffered from into categories as follows.

(edit : in due time, I learned that I do not suffer from cyclothymia, contrary to initial diagnosis) 





psychological disorders:



  1. Achluophobia: fear of the dark and gloom, I suffered a lot during the years, and since I still suffer, albeit less so, l have one or two small light sources in the hallway to make my way to the toilet, firstly in relation to this phobia and secondly, to avoid bumping into things.
  2. Acrophobia: fear of heights that was, like many patients, accompanied by dizziness; a day, archaeological visits, I followed the path of a bird of prey with my binoculars and was cured of fear as if by magic, watching this raptor soar above a view of a breathtaking landscape.
  3. I might also suffer from aerophobia,  fear of flying and air travel. I took the plane only once, with a treatment, and I do not see myself repeat this experience ... I prefer to take the train and limit myself to more local trips, especially as I suffer social phobias ...
  4. Agoraphobia, the fear of public spaces, and so, from the crowd, but is not limited to this: agoraphobia is the fear of places where escape is difficult, so we can suffer in full desert…
  5. To make things even more spicy, I also have claustrophobia, the fear of confined spaces (elevators, small rooms, places where I feel suffocated), of which I understand the source: the multiple punishments during my youth to spend long hours in a very narrow toilet.  I very vividly remember a tremendous crisis that I had at the only nightclub that I visited in my life in the company of a friend who had to get me out and rock me for long moments after I faced several phobias in one small space that this club had: small room, very dark, with people, and where, in just 15 minutes, I thought I was dying of heart attack as my heart beat hard and fast ... since then, I never tried this again and it's been over 15 years.
  6. Ablutophobia, fear of bathing, or rather, from drowning: since I almost drowned, a phobia is installed. I think I also have a form of aqua-phobia in view of my difficulties by taking a simple shower.
  7. Odontophobia - fear of the dentist / medical or surgical procedures in the mouth. Well, many people will say 'yes but I also have this' '; my issue  is that I don't just fear  the dentist, but also any other medical procedure that is requires something to enter in my mouth, such as pipes that go down my throat afterwards, eg a test my doctor ordered for me to check my vitamin B12, and which is to enter a probe via mouth & throat and falls somewhere in the belly (I do not know where exactly). 
  8. I never  went, because this phobia is coupled to emetophobia, fear of vomiting, which is very strong to the point of never looking  at scenes (movie / shows) that describe it ... the word makes me sick and gives me intense nausea. I absolutely have to avoid thinking about it even...
  9. Hemophobia, or Blood phobia - Fear of touch and sight of blood. Developed during my youth and many nosebleeds I suffered for much of my life ... my extreme sensitivity to the sight of blood makes me choose movies and shows in  assurance that the presence of blood is not excessive, and preferably downright nonexistent. I also avoid  strong violence, but I have not found phobia name '' violence phobia ''.
  10. Coprophobia is a paralyzing phobia: fear of excrement. Now, with a healthy diet, I  go normally the toilet every day and obviously, I am confronted with it daily and repeatedly, sometimes  very nauseated, and I do not understand why France has toilets  with no windows! Indeed, the only thing that helps me in these moments, is the fresh air, even very cold in winter. I have to run to the window to breathe before and / or after cleaning up after me, which never helps my day ...
  11. I know of no term for the phobia that causes me severe nausea when I sort laundry or going to throw the trash, or again, remove sticky stuff, dirty, or remove wet hair from the bathtub ... odor phobia  ? I do not think, as my sense of smell is not highly developed ... but then what? Emily Rose with whom I exchanges messages, suggests this might be part of my emetophobia, and I tend to agree as I was wondering about this as well. Thank you for your input! 


animal fears:


  1. I remember many winter days walking between the train station and a place where I worked was often sometimes strewn with earthworms ... and just saw the term for it : at the time I was suffering from vermiphobia ... it reduced since I helped my mother in the garden.
  2. Cynophobia: child, a neighbor's dog had bitten me, holding my hand in his mouth. For years I was afraid of dogs, and was taking long detours to avoid passing in front of houses / buildings where I had spotted canine ... with my wife, we adopted two dogs in 5 years, and despite a few incidents, I worked on this phobia and am much better in this regard. However, large dogs still make me afraid and I sometimes cross the street (but less often than my teenager years). I even could worked on my scatohpbia mentioned above, picking up after the dogs ... (but this has never been easy, and see that other people who probably do not suffer never pick up which made a little bitter towards them, because I  at least made a lot of efforts, instead of leaving the street dirty!).



My social phobias include fear of varied social situations, with different degrees of anxiety in different places, and they can be divided like this 


  1. Scocophobia, morbid fear of being stared at... 
  2. Glossophobia, fear of public speaking, like many people, certainly, and I avoided it whenever I could ... That said, I recently had the opportunity to talk a little bit in a group and surprised myself at the end, discovering that I had totally co-hosted the event ...
  3. Anthropophobia, this pathological fear of people and their company, which is complicated to live and explain because it is present even with friends, even those I appreciate, but sometimes their presence disorients me ... For instance, in the past 2 years I made new friendships and when some were invited, I had so much trouble in the beginning that I was literally sick, with nausea and vomiting. With time and number of visits of the same people, I could get used to and be sick less often because less uncomfortable.
  4. Gelotophobia: fear of ridicule, or in my case, of appearing ridiculous, which contributes to my social phobias ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments